The Manitoba Genealogical Society Inc. (MGS) is one of ten provincial genealogical organizations that endeavours to promote genealogical research and the writing of family histories. It is a registered charity formed in 1976 and incorporated in 1982. The main objectives of MGS are:
- To assist researchers in doing their genealogical research.
- To collect and preserve Manitoba genealogical and historical records/materials.
- To foster education in genealogical research through Society workshops, seminars and publications.
MGS has five local branches spread throughout the province.
MGS has some unique information on people who have lived in Manitoba (cemetery indexes, obituaries, BMDs - births, marriages, deaths, etc.) but we also can assist researchers with ancestors and descendents in other Canadian provinces and other countries – primarily United States, Great Britain, and Ireland.
Manitoba Adoption Records
Manitoba is opening birth records related to adoption. Read the news release. http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=30552. The changes to The Adoption Act and The Vital Statistics Act will allow for more openness with respect to birth records related to adoption. Adult adoptees and birth parents can access birth record information and protect their information.
The new legislation is expected to come into effect in June 2015. Manitoba’s new legislation will allow adoptees and birth parents to access available identifying information. It will also allow them to keep their information confidential if they wish.
Upcoming Southwest Branch Workshop
Southwest Branch is partnering with the Western Manitoba Regional Library in Brandon to offer a second workshop:
- Saturday, February 21: “More Basics of Getting Started in Genealogy and Family history”, 2 to 4 pm. - will cover the next steps in genealogical research.
The workshop will be held at the Western Manitoba Regional Library located in the Towne Centre, 712 Rosser Ave., Brandon MB. Please contact the Library at 204-727-6648 to register (registration limited to 15 participants).
Winnipeg Public Library Presentations
- Monday, February 2, 6 – 8 pm. “British Genealogy” by Elizabeth Briggs. Westwood Library. Register at 204-986-4742.
- Saturday, February 28, 1-4 pm. “Not just a pretty face: Dating and identifying old family photos” by Kelly Southworth. Charleswood Library. Register at 204-986-3072.
“The Nuts & Bolts of Genealogy” Workshop
Sponsored by the SW Branch Manitoba Genealogical Society
Saturday, April 18th, 2015, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Knox United Church (18th Street & Victoria Avenue), Brandon MB
Registration Fee: $45 before April 1(spouse ½ price) or $50 after April 1
For more information, visit our website www.swmanitobagenealogy.ca
For registration call Shirley @ 204-726-5344 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest Speaker: Oriole Vane Veldhuis. Topic: Family Secrets
MGS Library/Resource Centre Winter Hours
- The Centre will be closed on Wednesday evenings until March 18, 2015.
Regular winter daytime hours:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Sundays Noon – 4:00 pm
Please visit the MGS Events Page for more information on upcoming events.
Membership Information, Questions and Benefits
Membership in the Society is open to all those interested in researching family history. Individual, Associate, Institutional and Corporate memberships are available to suit different interests.
MGS Quick Links
Click for Cemetery Transcription Price List | MGS Research Assistance | KOHA - MGS Online Catalogue | Dauphin Branch | Southwest Branch | Southeast and Winnipeg Branch | Beautiful Plains Branch | Swan Valley Branch | Generations
Information on Our Website
Some of our content requires Adobe® Reader to view. Download it here.
Next page: About Us